Monday

Pumpkins love Gelato


 Plant companions... a long held standard for gardening and growing happy plants
Must be true... because the pumpkin seeds that I started in previously used gelato containers, are doing great!
(perhaps this version of companion planting isn't exactly as those gardeners of old imagined..hee hee)
The seeds are germinating at a 100% rate, with no loss of seeds.


 The seeds are from Baker Creek, and must be nearly 7, or 8 years old.
Hurrah for heirloom seeds!
 To get seeds started, I created a mini greenhouse on a folding table in our dining area. 
Cut down foam cups placed in smaller, clear storage containers.
 The zone that we are in now is a zone 7. Previously, I had learned to grow a garden in zone 5a. 
In fact, the local nursery owner told me last fall when we purchased new trees from him that we would have to water our trees in the winter. Once a month, dump a 5 gallon pail of water on them, so that the roots didn't dry out.
 Our daughter jokingly refers to our new town as the St. George addition. 
You see, we are just 2 hrs. from St. George, but our climate is more temperate. Not as hot in the summer as St. George, but not nearly as cold and snowy as our previous town.
In fact, our new home town is called "Little Green Valley"
Also, homes and land are still affordable around here, and if you want to park an RV, no problem.
(we had the hardest time finding a home to buy, or build in St. George that we could park our RV at our own home, without renting additional storage space)
 Our home was built in 2007, and faces East.
The morning sun had discolored part of the trim around 3 of the 4 garages.
 After a fresh coat of paint, the trim looks great. 
Quick maintenance project, with a big impact.
 Both the double garage door, and one of the single garage door trims are looking a whole lot better. 
The fourth car garage door doesn't get direct sun exposure and so there isn't any discoloration on the trim, therefore I didn't paint the trim on that door.
As I've been staying at home and getting projects done, I decided that I needed a creative project, so I went into my stash of silk flowers and put together a spring wreath for the front door. 
I also have a pretty big stash of ribbon, so that came in handy as well.

Until next time, stay well, and enjoy this glorious springtime season!

8 comments:

  1. Like the name of your town!!
    Your front door looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath looks very nice! Good job on the projects.
    Your pumpkin plants look happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerin. I love your spring wreath! Lovely! I am glad we reconnected. I remember reading your blog some years back. We are now living up in the Salt Lake City area - moved up here from Arizona in 2017. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerin~

    Beautiful wreath! So glad that you are happy and content in your new place...I know it must have been hard to make that move, and it really looks nice and warm! We have mulled moving south many, many times, but just seem to keep putting it off. There's always a reason that makes us say...that's why! Your seeds are doing great! I decided that it was time to plant a garden this year. A
    few years we took out our garden and put in a couple of beds for flowers and herbs. After this Covid scare, we decided that we need a garden...and so it is! It's still way too cold to even begin, but soon ;0)

    Stay well, Kerin!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kerin: I am glad you are back. Looks like you will be set for Halloween jack-o-lanterns this year. That is sure a beautiful wreath. The flowers, colors, placement and the big bow are just gorgeous. With your oval door window behind it looks very classy and old fashioned..Take care, my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wreath, we are always with baby steps projects.

    Enjoy your Wednesday!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new town sounds fabulous. I'm mulling getting some herbs, and giving up some of my window sill for a little more green. It would be fun to have fresh chives to cook with. Thanks for your visits and take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish I had a green thumb! Love your door color and the wreath is pretty. Hope you had a wonderful Easter and be safe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.
It means so much to me, that you've taken a few minutes in your day, to stop by and visit.
I love getting to know you, and having our "chats".
Have a wonderful day.