Wednesday

*~ October Shenanigans ~*

 Do I ever have a tale to tell you!
October shenanigans going on around here!
 Last night, our dog started barking at the top of the stairs. I woke up and I too could hear something in the basement. 
Oh, dread! I was afraid that a skunk had fallen into the window well, and that was what we were hearing.
 My sweet husband ran downstairs and checked things out. He could hear something, but then the noise stopped.
He told me it was a kitten that he had heard. 
Down the street, a mother cat that is wild had a litter of kittens and we have seen them running all around the neighbourhood.
We went back to sleep and it seemed that the kitten had run off and we had just heard the mewing coming from outside the window.
  Then... this morning as I was outside pulling up annuals, I heard the mewing again.
 I looked and looked for that kitten. 
I looked on the roof, the rain gutters, under the smoker and bbq, in the window wells, etc.. etc..
 Finally, I called our youngest son and he and his wife came over. 
He listened and looked and looked and listened. Our daughter~ in love told me that she thought the mewing was coming from inside the furnace vent. 
  No way. I knew that there wasn't any way that the kitten could have gotten into our HVAC system!
 Our son ran back down to my husband's office and the kitten was mewing. 
 Somehow, that kitten was inside the wall of my husband's office?????!!!!!!!!
 I grabbed a small utility knife and Spencer cut a peephole in the drywall that is in a storage closet on the opposite side of my husband's office wall.
 I handed him a small mirror and the mewing got louder and louder.
Bingo! He could see the kitten. 

He then cut an access hole nearer to the floor in the closet. I handed him some leather gloves and handed his wife a blanket. 
He reached through the hole and got the kitten!
Oh, my goodness!! 
You can only imagine how thankful I am that he was able to locate and rescue the kitten!!
 Then, Spencer found where the kitten had crawled up inside a teeny tiny hole where the bay windows are next to the French doors and somehow made its way past the sill plate and into the basement wall.
Kittens are very mischievous critters!
 My husband's brother has a massive cattle ranch just across town, so we are going to re~home the kitten to the farm.
 We were due to get tons and tons of rain.
Nope.
We haven't even received enough rain to make the flower beds wet.
I had been waiting until it rained and softened the dirt so that I could finish pulling out the annuals and cleaning out the veg bed.
 As I pulled up the last of the squash, lo and behold two more butternut squash were clinging to the vine!
Yay!
One little butternut squash plant yeilded us a total of seven nice butternut squash.
 Looking across the meadow, with the clouds clinging low to the mountain, I had high hopes of a real thunder~buster kind of storm.
For you can see how very dry the meadow is, and how badly we need rain. 
  Well, I can tell you one thing... October is starting off with some real shenanigans. 
  Hoping that we get some more rain, and enough to truely soften the dirt in the borders and flower beds, then I can pull up all the rest of the leggy annuals. 
  My sweet husband is stopping by the hardware store on his way home and picking up rigid foam insulation in order to cover that teeny tiny hole and also a half sheet of drywall, for we will be repairing the access hole and the peephole. 
  I was so afraid that the kitten wouldn't make it! 
I just could not imagine how awful it would have been if the kitten stopped mewing and we couldn't find it.
 So grateful that we found and rescued that little kitten.
If it wasn't so wild and such a feral cat, one could keep it and give it a name such as ~Sheena.. for shenanigans!
Or Dennis, as in Dennis the menace!!

Attitude of gratitude:
  ~Feeling thankful for the crock pot.. again. 
How nice and easy it is to have such a wonderful way to make a meal. Last night it was tortellini bake, with enough leftovers to have tonight. 
 ~Grateful that my husband and I were able to get up to the lake and he was able to get in a bit of end of summer fishing. 
We had a picnic, and it was so peaceful and beautiful in the mountains.
 I am so grateful that we live so close to our incredible mountains.
 ~ So grateful that this coming weekend is General Conference. 
 Semiannual General conference truly feeds me spiritually and gives me a renewed focus of being the best daughter to our Heavenly Father that I can be.
  

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Kerin! I'm so glad you got that kitten rescued. Some time back when we were working on our house, a heater vent was opened and our cat went into it. What a nightmare that was! We finally got him out of a vent in another room.
    I hope you get some rain. We've been getting it all I think - 5 1/2 inches in the last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that kitten was probably terrified. I'm glad you were able to get it out and find a home for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rescued . .
    Happy!
    “Sheena” would be a great name,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerin, you have had some excitement. I'm so glad you were able to rescue that sweet little thing. They are so cute but if trouble is around, they will certainly find it. Sounds like it will get a good home. If you were wanting thunder, lightening and rain you should have been in Northern California yesterday. We were supposed to get a "little" rain only, but around late afternoon, the skies let loose with something that is pretty rare for this time of year in CA. The lightening was so bright and sharp and the thunder was so loud and so close, that we almost couldn't tell which was coming first. I love it, but poor little Kai was beside himself. It was a "shenanigan" day here too..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is some story of the rescued kitty.
    Good thing it was just a kitty that got in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerin, oh I am so happy that you found the kitten. Poor little thing! It must have been so frightened. I hope you get some rain to quench you thirsty land!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Kerin~

    Thank you for stopping by for a visit yesterday, it was good to hear from you.

    I want you to know my heart was doing flip-flops while reading about that sweet little kitten. PRAISE THE LORD you all were able to find it and get it out. Perhaps you should call him Lucky, or better yet, Blessed! <3

    Praying you get some much needed rain. We have had way more than normal so everything here is green....and squishy!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I loved the extra pictures! What an adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.
It means so much to me, that you've taken a few minutes in your day, to stop by and visit.
I love getting to know you, and having our "chats".
Have a wonderful day.