Tuesday

Improvement

 Improving skies.
Much less smoky and murky skies these past few days, as some of the wildfires closest to us are becoming more contained. 
Very thankful for all the incredibly hard working firefighters.
Very thankful for their families and the sacrifices that they make in order to let their loved ones go out and fight and contain these wildfires.
 Once again, as the sun rises we can see the gorgeous mountain tops.
So much better!!
 Driveway improvement. 
On the bottom right portion of the above picture is the driveway. 
It is much improved after spending a good amount of our weekend on it.
 Powerwashed, primed with cement primer, then painted with an epoxy paint. 
It is a much better-looking driveway now!
Some years ago, due to the frost, snow and salt damage that the cement had suffered, we resurfaced the driveway. 
One winter was all it took to make the resurfacing crack and break. 
Sans digging up the concrete, and pouring a new driveway, this is our attempt for getting a few more years out of the concrete. 
We have a north facing home and live in Utah where we get LOTS of snow.
 Concrete, snow, ice and ice melter make for a messy mix
If we ever have to repour the driveway, we will have low voltage warmers placed in the concrete, in order to melt off the winter snow and ice 
 My second attempt at bleaching out the pinecones resulted in a much lighter pinecone.
Still, these pinecones aren't as white as the ones that I've seen on magazine covers, Pinterest, etc.
I wonder if it is a certain brand of bleach that should be used, or have those photos of the super white pinecones been enhanced?
Still, I'm quite happy with these pinecones and the color that they are. I will absolutely use them in my Autumn decorating. 
Today I will place the pinecones in a box, and add some cinnamon oil to them. 

 The very large frame that I bought at the thrift store is now a new chalkboard.
It is a more substantial size than the last chalkboard that I had in this location.
The other chalkboard was made from an old cupboard door, and I gifted it to our younger daughter in love.
She was tickled to have it.
I was happy that she wanted it.
Even without measuring, I knew when I spied this large frame that it would make a better chalkboard than the cupboard door chalkboard for this space.
Another thrifty shopper asked me if I was an artist and if that is why I had the frame in my cart... **smile**. 
I told her 'nope, but I have big plans for this frame!'
This is the section of wall that is between the garage door and the laundry room door. 
I'm so pleased with this new chalkboard, and it's generous size.

Attitude of gratitude:
 ~ Thankful to wake up to clearer skies. Grateful to have less smoky air.
~Grateful for sweet summer garden produce.
 It's not a ton.. as we only have a few plants, but I'm thankful that I was able to pick a few squashes and a couple of peppers this morning; they'll be used for dinner.

7 comments:

  1. Kerin, your driveway looks great. There sure is a lot of maintenance when you live in a cold climate. I think those pinecones are beautiful and will look so good in a autumn display and on to Christmas too. Glad the smoke is clearing up. Our's seems to be also but it just might be the way the wind is blowing as there are still some fires going on.Great job with the chalk board and I like the big size..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerin~

    Your sunset and sunrise photos are just gorgeous!! I understand what you mean about smoky skies...but they sure make for a gorgeous sunset.

    Your pine-cones are so pretty! I like that they aren't completely white, keeps them looking natural, they will be so pretty put with yellow and gold for autumn.

    Concrete and snow don't mix do they?! Great job with the paint, it's a huge job. We painted our garage a few years ago and wow, it's a lot of work!

    The chalkboard is beautiful...what a great find on that frame!

    I love seeing you in blogland again...you just make me smile, and I always look forward to your, Attitude of Gratitude... :0)

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Driveway looks very nice . . .

    I tried the pine cone bleaching but didn’t care for the
    bleach fragrance on the pine cones. I hope the cinnamon oil helps!

    I found myself on Pinterest today looking for fall ideas, pumpkins,
    jack-o-lanterns, leaves and things. Found some good ideas.

    Happy dreaming . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think our driveway will ever look good. : ) We have lots of work to do on it yet!!
    Beautiful skies and glad to hear that the fires are starting to be contained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you believe that the smoke from your area is now affecting us in Michigan? We have had the most beautiful sunsets and they say it is due to the smoke in the atmosphere from the fires.
    The driveway looks great.
    I have to disagree with you. You are an artist! The chalkboard looks great!
    PS - I really like your profile pic. I'm thinking it's new or I just don't notice things very quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such a lovely visit with you this morning. And can I just say that I love your picture on your sidebar :) What a delight to see you.

    The smoke has been awful here for the last few days. It's so thick that I can't even see the mountains that surround our house. Those poor but wonderful fire fighters! I can't imagine what they are facing as they battle the many fires.

    Thinking of you, my friend. Enjoy the remainder of your week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skies are looking beautiful once again.
    Many thanks to those men, women and family's who fight and sacrifice much for others.
    We too are experiencing smoky days.
    Your driveway looks great!
    We have black top for our driveway and the winters can be hard on it causing cracks, then weeds find their way in over the summer.
    We were at or daughter's for dinner last night and she made a delicious squash casserole, my it was good!
    Bless you ~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.
It means so much to me, that you've taken a few minutes in your day, to stop by and visit.
I love getting to know you, and having our "chats".
Have a wonderful day.