Tuesday

Milk jug mayhem....and sweet potatoes.

Milk jugs have been our preferred way of starting seeds in the Spring time.
They are in-expensive, and readily available and they work perfectly like mini greenhouses.
That is, when you remember to save them.
I'll admit, sometimes I'm just to pragmatic for my own good! As soon as the milk jug is empty, I crush it and put it in the waste can.
Too many times, I've been chastised about not saving the milk jugs.
I'm finally getting better at saving them. 
The above picture is an idea that I saw on Pinterest.  It is perfect solution for us and the way that we start our seeds. 
It solves the problem of where to place said milk jugs, and seed starts once you fill up a couple dozen old milk jugs.
This week, I'm determined to get a milk jug rack made.
It will be nice to corral the milk jug mayhem that prevails each Spring time.

 As many have asked about the sweet potato starts, I thought perhaps a bit more info. would be helpful.
These sweet potatoes are pictures of my starts from last year.
My goodness, I remember thinking after a few weeks had passed that the idea was not going to work.
Then, one morning as I refreshed the water, much to my delight I saw tiny little white root sprouts.
Ecstatic!!
I had just about given up hope of the idea of starting my own sweet potato slips.
I'm so glad that I exercised patience.

SO,  this year.. I'm determined to be patient and keep fresh water in my jars, and keep the jars in a sunny window
Actually, I'm also going to begin some more sweet potatoes and do it just a bit different and see what idea works the best.
 I'll keep you posted.

Unfortunately.. I forgot to take pictures of the slips once they grew.  We ended up putting the slips in the garden and they grew wonderfully.   Then... the pumpkins took over and we never did check to see if we had sweet potatoes.  It was one of those things.
The point is, that the slips grew wonderfully, and beautiful vines formed. 
Perfect for planting in pots
That is my goal this time around.
To grow slips for potting and using in a decorative manner.

Attitude of gratitude:
~I'm grateful that we were able to get the Dr. orders faxed and Brooke's blood draw done.  She had a kidney transplant and once you have a transplant you have to see the Dr. and have blood draws like...........forever.
~I'm grateful for the rain in the valleys and snow in the mountains.  My Heavenly Father loves me so much. He knows I long for green grass, and that my soul cannot take any more snow! For now, I am blessed with  a winter break. 
I'll take it,  and be grateful for every single second of it!!
~I'm grateful for a kind friend that stopped by yesterday, and gave me her old dining room table.  So excited that I can have it for Spencer's house.  We're going to give it a make-over so that it fits in with his colorful, fun, and happy décor.

24 comments:

  1. That milk jug idea is brilliant! You just make me think I need to visit Pinterest... though I keep holding out! I just can't have one more spot to eat time! LOL! Looking forward to seeing those slips! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I love your blog, Kerin! I am a gardener at heart (a simple one) and reading this on your love of a sweet potato (vine)! This is a neat idea planting seed in these cartons....I assume they are tacked or nailed to the wood? I love the color of the vine! And you had a very blessed day yesterday being given a table for Spencers new house...yeah! That will be a FUN project! Please show us the finished results! Have a wonderful week~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring must soon be here, if you're thinking about starting your garden plants! Yay! Although I don't start things ahead myself, the milk jug idea looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea with the milk jugs! How fun to get a dining table for Spencer. You'll have to share pics with us.
    It is snowing hard in GA today.
    Hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to use milk jugs. I don't have enough room near my south facing windows to set them on tables. I too am glad for the rain in the valleys. This has been a long winter. Can't wait to see the renewed table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great idea to use the cartons! I look forward to gardening one day! Have a wonderful week Kerin! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the milk jug idea! It's one of those ideas that makes us wonder why we didn't think of it. I don't know that it would work now because the kittens would just love to get into them, but maybe someday when the younger ones calm down a bit.
    About the photo, I don't even remember now which one I wanted to use! Oh well. :) Story of my life...once I think of something and then turn around, it's forgotten. Thanks anyway!
    Hope you show us the table makeover. Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ingenius way to use those jugs!
    The table is a great gift - can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Kerin. First of all I like that milk jug idea and hope you get your rack made ASAP!! Now, you have reminded me of something I did a long time ago and completely forgot over the years. I started a sweet potato, in a jar, and I don't remember how long it took to start showing leaves, but it was the most beautiful plant I had ever seen and I kept it in the family room for a really long time. I never did plant it out and it finally came to an end, but I have wanted to start another and now, that you have reminded me again, maybe I will..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea with using milk jugs for starting seedlings. I might have to try some of my zinnia seeds this way . . . I am grateful today for you sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I love it! I love the milk jug rack idea! LOVE IT! I think that is an incredible idea. I actually bought sweet potatoes yesterday, and you came to mind. Funny, I haven't met you, but you go with me to Smith's! lol Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Kerin! I was so glad to see you on our blog! I've been in hibernation with all the winter... but what a great way to start sweet potato slips... I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why did I never think to try to grow my own sweet potato vines!!! I buy them every year at the garden center. I have no idea why it never occurred to me, but thank you for the idea! Glad Spencer's finding some "new" furniture for the house. Looks like a great house (loved the corner cabinet).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't get my milk in jugs, but what a great idea for reusing them, Kerin! What a garden you'll have!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. The milk jug rack is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That milk jug idea is a good one- I never thought of using jugs to start plants in. I love your gratefuls too- have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so ready to start planting but we're moving and I don't want to start on anything until we're settled in our new home. I'm loving winter but I am looking forward to planting, loving that jug idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just a brilliant idea! I suppose you could do this with zinnias too. We don't drink as much milk around here as when the kids were home but I'm sure I could save a few. Happy V day to you and your cute hubby. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kerin!

    What a great idea -- I almost had my mind made up that I was going to make my garden smaller. Then my sister told me about a talk she read that said we needed gardens more than ever! So . . . hello big garden!

    I can't wait to see pictures of your sweet potatoes!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  20. That milk jug idea is brilliant!
    I want to give that a try.

    Thanks for the instructions on sweet potato slips.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed seeing your not-so mayhem. Since I live such an urban life I love seeing other people's fields and gardens. I am grateful for the warmer weather and so enjoying it. Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just the neatest thing. I never knew any of this was possible. This is why I enjoy blogging. I always learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at you go! Great idea about the milk jugs and the sweet potato slips. I don't drink milk though so it would take me forever! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found you once more -- awhile ago you had stop posting. And today I was searching in Google to see what new happening might be going on with the Old Mill in Fairview - since it was sold back in 2012 and there was your photo of the mill so here I am again enjoying your blog once more..cool ideas - I would have not thought of this... thanks for sharing!
    Hugs
    OH I will be sharing a Black and White photo of the Flour MIll for Wednesday's post..come over and see it and let me know what you think of it..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.
It means so much to me, that you've taken a few minutes in your day, to stop by and visit.
I love getting to know you, and having our "chats".
Have a wonderful day.