Wednesday

Rock Candy & Frokes


 Big Rock Candy Mountain, that is.
Have you ever been to Big Rock Candy Mountain?
Remember the song 'Big Rock Candy Mountain', by Harry McClintock?
His idea of a Hobo's dream life.
 ~ Big Rock Candy Mountain, is a short drive from where we live. The drive up the canyon is beautiful, and there is a beautiful river walkway/ bike path. 
On our drives, we often pick up a 'Froke'.... or a frozen coke to sip on.
One of our favorite summer time treats!

 How darling is this potting shed ~ or garden shed ~or she shed? 
This gal has decorated her shed is such a cute fashion, and it  makes one happy to see all of her cute collections.
 This is the kitchen table 'before', and below is a picture of the kitchen table 'after'. 
We gave our youngest son our very large kitchen table when we were packing and moving, thinking that we were going to St. George. 
We had a small drop leaf table to use in the interim, and planned on replacing our main dining room table with something permanent, once we were moved in and settled.
 We had kept the chairs from our original set because we really liked the style and quality, but the table was far too large for us. 
One day, while we were visiting friends, I mentioned how much I liked their single pedestal table and they told me that I could have it. 
I didn't feel right about taking it for free, so I made a trade with them. 
I had an old extra trunk ~ the wooden kind, and traded that old trunk for the table. 
Of course I painted the entire set a cottage white, and I love love the finished project. There is an extra leaf for the table so that we can quite comfortably seat 6~8, when it's more than just the two of us for meals.
 We managed to save three red twig dogwoods and transplanted them.
I spray painted all of my metal love hearts and placed them near the dogwoods.

 I'm loving the hutch in the entryway, where I can enjoy it every day.
 It's also great for extra storage!

 Kitchen hutch is right where we like it, and love that the bee ware dishes are so handy for dinner time.

 Lastly.. I've been styling the tops of the cupboards in the kitchen. 
Above the pantry, I have a 'Bakery' sign, and little mason jar lights that are on a convenient light switch.

My sweet husband is counting down...just about 7 months more, then he will retire.
He has put in more than 30 years in law enforcement, and he always tells me that he wants at least 30 years of retirement life in kind :)
My sweet husband is fourth generation LEO, and our boys are 5th generation LEO (law enforcement officers).

 We've been practicing for retirement...going to the lakes and ponds fishing, working in the yard and garden, taking trips, going for rides, etc..

I told him "we are going to be the best retirees ever!" 
We always have a blast together!

~This week:
  *Finishing the last bit of painting in my sweet husbands office, and getting it decorated and pictures and awards etc. hung up;one of his favorite pics of the unit he was over in the police academy.
*Planting the 'new to me' pussy willow tree.
*Working on the spot where the garden shed will go.
* Planting in our veggie garden.




14 comments:

  1. I love this! We actually have that exact same dining room table. I love it with the white paint. Looks brand new! I also love all your decorating. Thanks to your husband and son for their service as LEOs. Hope you have a great retirement. My husband has just retired as a teacher. Stay well and safe and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the white painted table and also the kitchen hutch.
    It's tough being a law officer these days!! A big thank you to your husband and sons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell you husband and son thank you for all those years of service! They are all appreciated and so are you, as I'm sure you've put in a lot of time worrying, and supporting them.
    I never heard frozen coke called froke, but I like it!
    We had that same table and chairs. We gave it to our daughter when Bob built us a new set. The chairs look great with the new table and the paint job makes it perfect! I'm going to show my dayghter. She would like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that song! What beautiful scenery and I never heard of a froke! LOL! I might have to try that! Your house is so pretty and you decorate it so nicely. I have lots of painting to do from walls to woodwork to cupboards to baskets and accessories. Painting and outdoor work is on my list from now until forever! LOL! I hope the next 7 months goes quickly for your husband so he can get on with his retirement and yours! I hope you both get another 30 years to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kerin: I do remember that song and the mountain is very majestic looking. I remember when we first came to the gold country and stopped at all the A&W Rootbeer stands along the way. We still have a tiny A&W sharing space with the KFC so we still get one occasionally. Your table and chairs look great and everything is looking so pretty..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the song too! What a fun place to visit!

    Love the table change and your hutches.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last week was the seventh anniversary of my retirement. I retired a little earlier than I anticipated due to health issues, and I have no regrets. I've had less money than if I worked longer, but I'm so grateful for the gift of time. I always wish people a long and healthy retirement and send the same to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We’ve ridden on the bike trail three times. It’s a fun easy ride. Now I’m wondering..where do you buy a Froke? I need one of those in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you!
      Hope you're doing well :)

      Around here, we can pick up a 'Froke' from Burger King.

      Have a lovely summer.

      ~K.

      Delete
  9. Hi Kerin~

    Yes, we love, Big Rock Candy Mountain! We used to go to Arizona to visit my mom, and loved to go that way...come to find out, at that time, it was owned by my daughter's in-laws family! She was only a young girl at the time, but she always loved going in and talking to them, and buying a little bag of rock candy and an ice cream cone...who knew?!?! There was a little path behind the store where you could walk up and see a pet coyote that they had! It is a fun place to visit, and so beautiful!

    Just love your table! I have an old pedestal table that was my great grandmothers. It needs to be refinished, and I would love to paint it; you always give me inspiration!

    You guys will be great retirees! Bob has been retired for almost 8 years...he retired when he was 57, after 35 years as a pipefitter, it was a really good thing. Being in law enforcement is a hard job, especially these days...better sooner than later!

    We go on lots of little road trips. We don't usually go very far, but we always have fun!

    Have a wonderful day, Kerin!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your pictures are just beautiful!! That song was one of my favorites when I was little. My Dad would pick me up and sing it to me and dance around the livingroom with me in his arms. That is an incredible place to see. I would love to visit there. This is a very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table and hutch are beautiful...I would love to get rid of my dining table and get a smaller one. I've had this one for over 20 years. Congrats on the upcoming retirement. My husband retires on July 1, and I have never ever looked forward to anything more (except for babies). Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big Rock Candy Mountain?! My family visited there when I was about 10 years old. We drive from San Diego to Denver to visit family friends and stopped there on our way. Your pictures brought back so many memories! (This is my first time on your blog. I've come over from Barb's Blog.) Your home is beautiful, I love your furniture. Thank your family for their remarkable service. They are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure miss your posts and hope all is well with your and your family. Hope you continue blogging one day soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.
It means so much to me, that you've taken a few minutes in your day, to stop by and visit.
I love getting to know you, and having our "chats".
Have a wonderful day.